Friday, January 11, 2013

Surgery: Health for Artists

Quick Performance Update – next week: None
Other Jan. performances:  None

I had surgery (hysterectomy) this past Tuesday, Jan. 8.  Although in some pain and having some soreness, I know the end result is I will be a healthier person, and for that I am glad. 

Getting to this point started because of a performance in March of 2012 where I passed out at the end of program.  Through an overnight stay at a hospital in Vancouver, WA, I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids.  Great friends in that area watched over me and made sure I comfortably arrived back home and the process began to a)  get health insurance and b) get the best possible care and have some physical resolution.

The health care insurance was my challenge, because I have asthma and with that pre-existing condition, insurance was too high.  Then came Obamacare!  I am a testimony to the positive effects of Obamacare and getting healthcare for my pre-existing conditions.  I pay $288/month to cover myself and am grateful beyond belief. 

I encourage all artists to get healthcare insurance, particularly since now it’s a little easier.  Here is the suggestion I was given, and used: 

A)   Get services from a Federally Qualified Health Center - they charge on a sliding scale fee and even if you pay full fees, it's often less than a private practice. There are many in our area (VA). See Access Partnership's link for a listing: http://accesspartnership.org/19.html

B)   Check to see if you qualify for Pre-Existing Condition Health Insurance Plan. The rates are very affordable and since you have a pre-ex condition, it's doubtful you can get insurance at a reasonable price. Also, be aware that even after you purchase coverage from a private insurance there is often a pre-ex period (3-6 months and sometimes a year) before that condition is covered!  website: http://www.pcip.gov.

If you have insurance ideas and suggestions that are viable and affordable for artists, please share with others. 

Time for me to get back to recuperating (which means sleeping a lot and using great drugs - J), so let me finish by saying thank you to everyone who has been open to sharing how they dealt with certain prescription drugs and with surgery.  Your insights helped me make good decisions.  Your prayers, thoughts and texts have reminded me that I am loved and cared for, and quite blessed with my cross-country friendships. 

What is Ms. Sheila reading?  Still reading:  Anecdotes Illustrative  of New Testament Texts published by The S.S. Scranton Company, Hartford, CT (1901).
Most interesting thing researched this week?  I found out the prayer, “Now I lay be down to sleep” was written in the 18th-century.  How cool that I can add this to my 18th-Century storytelling presentation and Historic Character Presentations.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm wondering how hard would it be to have group insurance for storytelling?

    ReplyDelete