Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Traveling Story

Today I presented "The Ragged King" again and afterwards I pondered how far this story has come and gone and continues. The story I told comes from a parable written by Soren Kierkegaard in his book, "Philosphical Fragments." (You can read the whole parable and thoughts at http://trinitypastor.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/kierkegaard-a-parable-of-a-king-and-a-maiden/). This parable was put into another book, which David Jeremiah referenced in his book, "Why the Nativity?"

Donna Thomas, Associate Minister of Music at First Baptist Norfolk, wanted to add a dramatic monologue to a program that our Young at Heart choir was doing. She asked friend, Sarah Brady. Sarah was unavailable and suggested me. Donna also talked to Courtnery and Courtney suggested me and obtained my contact information from Stephanie Freeman, who I went to Malawi with. Donna and I connect and she shows me the parable and asks to make it more of a story. So I come up with 6 mins. that becomes "The Ragged King." I send her the copy of the story (revised slightly just for telling) and she recognizes it matches the pastor's sermon coming up the week after next. She shares with the worship planning team and they ask if I can share this the week after the "Young at Heart choir program" to all 4 services in church.

So, Dec. 5 - I present "The Ragged King" at Young at Heart choir Christmas program for the assisted living/nursing homes. On Dec. 12 - I present "The Ragged King" right before the sermon at all 4 services at First Baptist Norfolk (my home church). On Dec. 13 - Burt Reed calls Mr. Rosser and tells him about the presentation. Mr. Rosser calls my Dad and requests that I come and present at their weekly men's prayer breakfast. So, Dec. 22 - I present "The Ragged King" at the Men's Prayer Breakfast (in Hampton, VA). Today, I was requested by the Sr. Pastor at First Presbyterian Church to present "The Ragged King" at the 5 pm Christmas Eve program.

From the heart of Kierkegaard (1800's) to the ears of those in the 21st century, and it still rings with the same conviction, same revelation about the depth of Christ's love, and is unmistakably the work of God's hand. What we do can have lasting results! Interesting to see where a story travels and how a good story never loses its power. Merry Christmas, Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment